Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Banana bread with cashew and chocolate chunks


I live with a man who hates bananas.  Loathes them.  So when we got a bunch of bananas in our weekly fruit and vegie box, they sat on the bench and steadily, reliably went brown.  I ignored them right up until the point that my man wanted to throw them out, at which point I declared resolutely: "I SHALL MAKE BANANA BREAD."


But the truth is, while I like banana bread, it doesn't really excite me.  Cashew nuts and dark chocolate - they excite me.  My path was clear...

Ingredients (adapted from taste.com):
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 cup self-raising flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 over-ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 125g butter, melted and cooled
  • big handful of cashew nuts
  • 100g or so of cooking chocolate

 Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.  Then line a loaf tin with baking paper.


 Mix the flours, sugar and cinnamon.  Whisk together the butter and eggs.  Mash the banana.




Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the butter and egg mixture.  Stir through, then add the mashed bananas and mix again.



Finely chop the cashes and roughly hew the chocolate.  Then add these to the mix and stir through as well.




Tip the whole lot into your lined tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.  Take to work - because it's not welcome at home - and feel virtuous and noble because you didn't waste three bananas, with only a modicum of effort.




No comments: