Monday, September 5, 2011

Caramel Sago (aka Sago Pudding)



I am sitting on the couch eating a bowl of sweet, sticky bubbly gloop.  It's the gloop my mother used to make when I was little and we were poor.  But it was still dessert, and dessert was rare, and I have a deep nostalgic love for this gloop.  Sitting in the office after 6pm tonight, it hit me: All I wanted was caramel sago.


Now, those of you with American or British sensibilities may think of it as sago pudding.  Those with Asiatic tendencies may lean towards gula melaka, or the more ubiquitous bubble tea (which I am still too scared to try what with the wacky flavours).  But my honest Mum turned tapioca into Caramel Sago, and Caramel Sago is what I'm eating today.


It needs milk, and sago or tapioca, and brown sugar.  And stirring.  Lots and lots of stirring.  And then there's the eating.  Lots and lots of eating.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups milk (I use soy because that's all we ever have in the house)
  • 1/3 cup sago
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 cinnamon quill
  • 2 cardamon pods


Put everything in a small saucepan.  Bring the milk to the boil, then reduce to a very low heat and simmer.  Stir constantly, making sure the spoon is in contact with the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking and burning.  Keep stirring until the whole thing arrives at your desired gloopiness, and the sago is more or less transparent (it's ok if there's still some white bits in the middle).





When you can't stir it any more and you just have to eat it, take out the cinnamon and cardamon and suck all the tasty goo off them.  Then serve your caramel sago and slurp away greedily.  Maybe your boyfriend doesn't like it? That's ok, he can have the last of the hedgehog and you can have more!  Caramel Sago: it's win/win.











No comments: